Thursday, September 24, 2009

NaNoWriMo: I've lost my mind

National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) is coming and I'm taking the plunge.

Every November lunatic writers everywhere--thousands more every year--race to pound out 50,000 words in a single month. The idea behind NaNoWriMo is to write with reckless abandon, totally and completely ignoring our inner editors. It's about quantity, not quality. "Make no mistake," NaNoWriMo founder Chris Baty says on the website, "You will write a lot of crap."

Well. (clearing my throat) I do that anyway.

And the timing is perfect this year. I'm about to wrap up a manuscript. The November 1st start date is the incentive I need to finally finish it. In November, while my agent reviews the draft for Book 2, I'll use NaNoWriMo as an opportunity to explore ideas for Book 3.

Stay tuned for the frenzy.

2 comments:

  1. How are you going to do this when you have a job to go to? Are you taking the month off from work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura. I wish! But no. I'm going to have to curtail my Facebooking and publishing blog surfing for the month :-) and maybe cut out a few work-outs, and just do my best. I don't expect to reach 50,000 words but I do intend to give it my max effort. 10,000 words a month is a lot for me, so if I get any more than that I'll be happy. I need practice writing without editing as I go. Are you thinking of trying?

    ReplyDelete