Sunday, July 18, 2010

How many words is a picture worth?

I set aside time this morning to drive around a neighboring community and work on my book--in pictures.

I've done this for all of my books. I drive around a new area and take photos and notes, then weave those details into the work in progress. It started as a way to enhance setting. Now it helps with mood.

Look at the details we can capture by exploring this way. I wouldn't have been able to imagine these.












I'm not saying they're all pretty. Just suggesting that exploring with a camera is one of my favorite ways to grab sensory detail.

From this little trip, I drove straight to my local indie bookstore, Murder by the Book, where I had the pleasure of meeting author Tess Gerritsen in person. All in all, a great day for books.



11 comments:

  1. I love doing little photo trip safaris. Like you said, one sees stuff that could never be imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I do this too. Especially when I'm writing a local history piece. Sometimes the tiniest detail turns out to be the biggest "clue" and takes the history hunt off in a different direction than I had originally planned.
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's neat to see I'm not alone in this. Writers are so much fun to talk to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. documentary photography <3
    I get your concept, but I think you should go into a location and explore it a bit deeper, photograph people even, talk to them, meet them and so on so that you get the whole atmosphere and see the way they use the space.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amy. You know, it's never occurred to me to seek people on these trips. I usually have characters well-formed in my mind already, and it's the Where that holds me up. I like your idea though, and will give it a try next time. I'll post the pictures here to prove it. :) Thanks for stopping by and posting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favorite things to do is sit in a place, maybe a restaurant or something, and just eavesdrop. You get an excellent, unfiltered insight into people.

    I'm not so good at talking, but getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chris, I'm a big-time eavesdropper too. Not just in restaurants. Where you do it as part of your craft, I'm just outright nosey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rachel-

    Excellent idea! I know painters who do the same thing. If it's good enough for Vincent van Goff ( He swears it's his real name.), it's good enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rachel, I dropped by since we are co winners of Tim's booby prize.
    I've been thinking of a camera for a long time...once practiced the art as an amateur photographer. which camera do you use...since I have to buy a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Usman,

    Thanks for stopping by. I have a Canon PowerShot SD880 IS Digital Elph. Love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going to google the Canon. Thanks

    ReplyDelete