Monday, May 31, 2010

Book Buzz: Gravity by Tess Gerritsen

Imagine that somebody wrote a novel about your workplace and got it right on, and then added a twist, and a turn, a biohazard, some romance, and a smattering of sci-fi. Yeah. That's what I was reading over Memorial Day weekend. Good stuff, right here.

Wow! A friend of mine, both an avid reader and fellow NASA contractor, put this one in my hands. Gravity was published in 1999 so I was late to this party, but it was an amazing read--and I feel safe now in adding that it's timeless. I appreciated Gerritsen's care with technical facts at NASA, as well as her accurate depiction of Johnson Space Center and the Houston area in general. Just a real fun read all-around, close to home for me, and nicely done!

Gerritsen did a remarkable job blurring the line between modern-day science and science fiction. Gravity asks readers to consider the limits of secrecy that are justified in the name of "public safety." It also explores the limits of love and professional duty during times of crisis.

I was delighted to recognize some professional acquaintances in the Acknowledgments, and I was saddened at the mention of Columbia (the novel pre-dated the tragedy). This was a touching read for me as our nation's Space Shuttle program, which is close to my heart, draws to its close. Heartily recommended for fans of medical thrillers or space aficionados. Required reading for JSC contractors and civil servants. :)

2 comments:

  1. Another one for the TBR pile. Good grief! At this rate I'll be approximately 200 when I get caught up -- but only if I don't add any more to the pile.


    Maribeth
    Giggles and Guns

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maribeth, I FEEL YOUR PAIN! (Good pain.) My mistake was Earth Day, 2009. I went to a book swap where readers could "recycle" books by taking a few and leaving a few. My "few" was a few dozen, and some still taunt me. I keep discovering new authors that cut to the front of the line! Gotta love it, though.

    Thanks for stopping by the blog. Great to have your company.

    ReplyDelete